Granite is among the leading surface materials for projects such as countertops, flooring, showers, fireplace surrounds and more. The best home and business features are those that come with a story behind them. That being said, not only is granite a stunning and durable natural stone option for your clients, but it has a rich history that they can share with their guests for many years to come.
While it may not seem like the most riveting topic, granite is actually quite interesting. From its significant origins to its unique composition, our stone wholesalers are sharing 10 fun facts about granite that you more than likely didn’t already know!
- Granite’s name comes from the Latin word “granum” meaning “a coarse grain,” inspired by its grain-like appearance.
- Granite has served in construction since the Ancient Egyptians.
- Granite is the oldest igneous rock, believed to have emerged as early as 300 million years ago.
- Granite is a “plutonic” rock meaning it forms deep within the earth’s surface.
- Granite has a density of around 162 pounds per cubic foot.
- Granite ranks at an 8 on the Mohs hardness scale making it one of the hardest materials in the world, second only to diamonds.
- Granite is made up of a combination of minerals like feldspar, mica and quartz - making each slab completely unique from the next.
- Granite is a naturally porous stone, meaning it has pores on its surface that can collect substances and harbor bacteria over time if it is not properly sealed.
- Granite is commonly used in famous structures such as Mount Rushmore and the Statue of Liberty.
- Not to be confused with cracks, granite has naturally occurring separations in their surface called “fissures.” These fissures do NOT compromise granite’s structural integrity.
Now that you’re well-versed in fun facts about granite, as a designer or contractor, you can better educate your clients about wholesale granite products. Not only will they find these stories and details interesting, and hopefully relay them to their own guests, but they will be highly impressed by your extensive knowledge and commitment to helping them choose the best stone features possible.
The best stone is stunning, durable and has a story to tell - and granite checks all of these boxes! Our stone wholesalers at Firenze International have a variety of granite options for you to choose from. You can use these 10 fun facts you learned about granite to inform and educate your clients while further establishing your credibility and impressing them with your expertise on the topic of natural stone. Contact us today for more information about our wholesale granite selection!