Installing natural stone into your home can bring elegance and personality, but many people stray away from this material because they assume it is hard to maintain. The good news is that with proper care and maintenance, you can delay any everyday wear and tear.
If you are a designer or fabricator and you have clients that are either installing natural stone in their home or are skeptical about installing it, share these basic maintenance tips with them to prolong the life of their stone.
Everyday Maintenance Tips
- Start with a damp cloth and a dab of dishwasher soap
- Use an abrasive cleaner to strip away any sealant or damage that has been done to the stone.
- If you have any burnt on food, use a soft bristle brush to scrub in a circular motion, which helps avoid scratching the surface of your stone.
- If anything is spilled on the stone, make sure that you wipe it up immediately to avoid any spotting on the countertop.
- Avoid cleaning products that aren’t specifically made for use on natural stone.
- Shaking out door mats on a regular basis can eliminate dirt and mud being tracked in on your stone flooring.
- If mud or dirt is tracked in on your stone floors, use a damp mop to wipe away any particles.
- Use Abrasives
Don’t try to polish your surface with anything that is abrasive. Always check the label of anything that you are considering using on your stone to ensure it won’t cause any damage.
- Cut Directly On Your Surface
Always use a cutting board when cooking on your natural stone. It’s rare that blades can cause damage, but the juices released from what you are cutting can potentially damage the stone.
The Right Sealant Matters
There is such a thing as putting too much trust in your sealant. A sealant protects the stone from stains, but it doesn’t prevent against any discoloration or etching that might occur.
Having a sealant does making cleaning up easier, it doesn’t replace any daily care that you need to do to your stone surfaces. Daily wipe downs of your stone can prevent build up that might require scrubbing later on.
Natural stone never goes out of style which makes it appealing to a lot of homeowners. Properly caring for your stone can ensure that you will enjoy it for years to come.
If you have clients looking to start a home renovation project this summer, Firenze has a wide selection of beautiful and durable natural stone! If you are in search of natural stone from our collection, contact us at Firenze International and we would love to help you and your clients find the natural stone of their dreams!